I’m 11 ‘little projects’ in to the big Marriage Project, and, well, I’m stunned. I can’t believe how much happier our marriage has been just since I started this. We weren’t even unhappy to begin with, which, if you think about it, is probably a good time to start focusing on marriage. Waiting until the you-know-what hits the fan might not be a wise move.
I haven’t tried to change my husband at all, only focusing on what I can focus on.
- Project #11: Take out the trash – 1 comments
- Project #10: Be nicely dressed and happy when he gets home from work – 4 comments
- Project #9: Wash the dishes! – 11 comments
- Project #8: Update my Facebook photo to one of ‘us’ – 3 comments
- Project #7: Put the phone back on the charger – 4 comments
- Project #6: Pretend I’m being watched at all times – 0 comments
- Marriage Project – Assessment #1 – 0 comments
- Project #5: Pick up his dry-cleaning – 4 comments
- Project #4: Dress up – 1 comments
- Project #3: Do something unexpected – 3 comments
- Project #2: Don’t say anything negative today – 1 comments
- Project #1: Send husband thank-you note in the mail – 3 comments
- The Marriage Project – 4 comments
As I mentioned in my first-ever post, these are not things that will save your marriage. And one-time actions are nice, but they might not be that noticeable.
A few things:
- The little things add up. I’m not sure my husband noticed any of these little things I’ve done on an individual level, except perhaps maybe dressing up nice when I don’t usually. However, he has noticed in general that I’ve been doing something. He’s mentioned a few times how great things have been going lately, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence.
- These things are cumulative. Sure, I’m writing about each thing once on this blog, but as I focus on them once, I’m trying to continue focusing on them (putting the phone back on the charger so I don’t annoy my husband and give him an aneurysm; taking out the trash or doing the dishes, chores I hate but that will lighten his load, etc.)
What are your thoughts? Any suggestions for me?